Why did Netflix back down from its deal to acquire Warner Bros.?

Why did Netflix back down from its deal to acquire Warner Bros.?
By: technology Posted On: February 28, 2026 View:

Netflix stunned the entertainment world this week when it declined to raise its bid for Warner Bros. Discovery, setting the stage for Paramount Skydance to win ownership of the Hollywood studio.

At the time, Netflix co-CEOs Ted Sarandos and Greg Peters said they were being financially disciplined. Now reporting in Bloomberg offers more details about why Netflix executives backed down from a bidding war that it seemed to win back in December

For one thing, the streaming giant’s shareholders appeared deeply skeptical that the acquisition was a good deal — Netflix’s share price declined 30% since announcing the deal, while the subsequent news that it was backing down sent Netflix stock up nearly 14%.

For another, Netflix’s commitment to the deal reportedly wavered after Paramount came in with an increased offer and seemed willing to go several more rounds in a bidding war.

By the time Sarandos met with Trump administration officials on Thursday, he may already have decided to concede. In fact, since President Donald Trump had previously warned him not to overpay, Sarandos reportedly told him, “I took your advice.”

Meanwhile, employees at Warner Bros. now worry about major studio layoffs and conservative political pressure on CNN.

Read this on technology



Header Banner



Note: There may be some affiliate / associate links throughout the pages of this site. By buying through the links we may receive a commission for the sale. This has no effect on the price you pay.
  Contact Us
  • We would love to hear from you
  • infobuxx@allsites.zendesk.com
  Follow Us
Site Map
Get Site Map
  About

Infobuxx: Your go-to source for the latest in entertainment, health, business, politics, sports, movies, economics, and trending news. Stay informed and entertained with updates that matter!